January 13, 2005

On-Line Objective


I am republishing my original, uncut first-edition blog, which begins............ I am an Master Electrician in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and an Electrical Contractor on Cape Cod. I have owned, operated and am now the president of Old Harbor Electric, Inc., we are Electrical Contractors, and we have been since 1975.Also a fan of the three major home improvement programs currently on the air in the PBS entries, "This Old House", long a mainstay and award winner, "Hometime" with Dean Anderson and of course, "Bob Vila's Home Again". Collectively, in my view, the three shows fail to portray the electrician and his labors in a true light (pun intended). How can a program called This Old House, Hometime, or Home Again cover the entire subject of homebuilding and remodeling work, without including the electricians?
On this website I intend to properly portray the work that an electrician does on the average house, as well as some of the extravagant homes.
"Everything "From Soup to Nuts, Electricians @ Work". I want to take a virtual subject project, borrowing from the electrical contracting company which I own and operate, and expound on the electrician's work and what they are assigned to do. From the temporary service pole to the last landscape light fixture. I will write about the materials, tools and methods we employ when fishing cables into old houses, I will illustrate and explain the installation of an electric service, with an electric meter, panelboard and circuit breakers. I will try to touch on every little task that is the electrician's duty, from the electrical calculations to identify and determine electrical loads that must be done on every building, to the installation of the electrical devices and wall plates.
I will take the reader on a walk-through, virtual house tour, which every one of my customers takes with myself or a subordinate, before we begin any wiring, and see how selections are made regarding lighting choices, etc. I will explain the electrical codes that govern our trade and the inspections that we must pass before our customers are allowed to live in the building with a final occupancy permit. I will teach, through text, illustrations and photographs, the ins and outs of the electrician's trade from the inside, the very interesting work that electricians do, day to day, to make your life easier and more enjoyable.
Find out that electricians are household traffic pattern experts, and how that aids them in designing the switching layout for the various lighting fixtures throughout the home. Learn how a simple decision made during this stage of construction, can make a big difference over the years that you live in your home. Read and learn from the suggestions I make to the customer about lighting and switch location. Flood lighting for the back yard, a post lantern at the end of the drive, one recessed over the kitchen island, or two? Get good advice for free from an expert in the field, stay tuned as I add more information to the site in the coming weeks and months.
More to come... ....any comments? Something you want better explained? Write-in, or stay with us....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home